Friday, July 4, 2008

July: The Drowned World (1)


Good turnout for this evening's meeting -- there were 10 of us, including our host. I counted five who had finished the book. JG Ballard's dystopian Science-Fiction novel inspired rather an animated discussion, which I will describe in a day or so.

Of the members who couldn't attend, Allyson sent the following comment for starters:

Quite relevant in today's climate - no pun intended. Interesting concept about how the world was able to de-volve so quickly to its prehistoric status. Also, I found myself skipping over the 'fight' between our hero (name escapes me) and Strangeman's crew (where they tied him up and put a mask on him.) Too reminiscent of Lord of the Flies for my liking.

1 comment:

Emma said...

Now here's the thing - I didn't get a copy of the book (and even if I'd had one, I wouldn't have had time to read it this week), so I went last night knowing nothing, not even the basic premise of the story. It sounded interesting, but hard work as a read. And I wasn't inspired to read it, even now. But that may have something to do with the fact that my bedside table is already piled high with books waiting to be read.

Still a good evening, great to catch up.