Saturday, August 30, 2008

Sense of Obligation

As a member of a reading group, should one feel obliged to read the books? This is a question that I have thought about from time to time, often when I am struggling to get through a book. But I think that in order to really answer this question, it is necessary to consider a number of issues. First of all, what is the intention of the reading group? Is it just an excuse to get together? (I do believe that many groups are often a guise for social get togethers, recalling the 'Melrose Place' nights that I used to attend that were more or less an excuse to eat pizza, drink wine and gossip!). Or is it an opportunity to be exposed to books of different authors and genres that one otherwise might never have read (broaden one's horizons)? Alternatively, does one look at reading groups from a more academic perspective, using it as an opportunity to develop critical reading skills (ha, yeah right!)? I can imagine though that different groups will have a different objectives, but most will probably see it as a combination of the first two. In this case, most members are committed to reading the selected books, and will probably make a good effort to read somewhere between 50 and 80%. However, having picked up a book and started reading it, is there an obligation to finish it? This again is probably dependent on a number of factors. Excluding time limitations, I guess the main reasons for not wanting to finish a book could be based on moral grounds (that the book repulses you, for example) or that you are finding it hard going (whether the plot disinterests you, or that it is too wordy etc). Should one be expected to put these issues aside and continue with the book? This, of course, very much comes down to individual preference. I would not want anyone to read a book that they found personally confronting. However, in my opinion, the books that are hard going are worth persisting with. Why do I say this? Because I believe that this can also play an important part in the eventual discussion of the book. Although it is great when everyone enjoys the book and is full of enthusiasm during the discussion (particularly when you are the one who has chosen the book), differences of opinion can often make for more interesting discussions. I think that it is often not what was good about the book that is of interest, but rather what was not so good. In this case, a difference of opinion can raise some interesting issues that one might not have otherwise thought about. I was looking at some of the 'objectives' of different reading groups and came across one that suggested that there is a difference between a 'good read' and a 'good book for discussion'. I would even go so far to suggest that there is a difference in reading for pleasure and reading for a book club. But, don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting that we should only choose 'difficult' books to read, and be forced to read them. But I do think that once in a while, it can be good (possibly even character building? (no pun intended ;)) to finish a book that you don't particularly enjoy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very timely post. For the first time in 3½ years, I am in danger of not finishing a reading group book – in fact, I’ve barely started.

Generally, I like to finish reading book groups, both out of courtesy to the person who chose it & because I like informed discussion. However this one’s a doosie. People whose opinion I trust are telling me that one gets no more out of the book than you would the movie. Hmm.

I agree that books that aren’t enjoyable reads can nevertheless provide rich fodder for discussion. But I love our discussions of books that are enjoyable reads – its lovely to be in a room of kindred spirits, discussing a book that we’ve all enjoyed.

FailedMyBookReport said...

Good post Hayley, and I think I understand where this is coming from. At the risk of preempting its discussion, the current read is (to be blunt) quite repugnant in parts. I persisted because the book had been given to me independent of Page Turners by someone who's view was "I really don't know why I read it" - and I wanted to be able to follow up that conversation. Sadly this one ends up a victim of its own triteness and unbelievably coincident (yet highly predictable) plot-line. Such a failing undermines its ability to pass on a message that may otherwise have merit.

I usually try to finish books but did give up on one earlier this year. I just felt the time was better spent elsewhere (Jeff Loomis was setting particularly hard guitar lessons that month).

I enjoy all of the mentioned aspects of our group but sometimes harbour secret frustration at tangential hijacking by those who didn't read the book, but that's only until I remember that there's more to books than reading the silly things :-)

I've been reading a lot of Calvin and Hobbes lately (the comic strip, not the philosophers) and every time Calvin's father wants him to do something he hates, the excuse is that "it's character building"...

Ellen said...

I think there are a few ways to look at this. It's good to be exposed to books one wouldn't normally read -- that was the reason for this group, in my mind. But as I get busier and my reading time dimishes, I confess that I find it harder to justify reading a book that I'm not enjoying. There is simply not enough time to read all the books I want to read, so why waste time reading something I don't?

I should explain that I think there's a difference between 'difficult' books and those that one doesn't like. 'Difficult' may mean that the writing is inaccessible, or the subject matter is not lively. (For me non-fic is always harder to make myself read.) There may however be other redeeming features that make the book worth persevering with.

But if for whatever reason someone conceives a violent dislike for a book, then I see no reason one should feel obliged to continue.

My history of finishing books with PT hasn't been great over the years. And I certainly can't say that it's been because I didn't like the books -- most of the time, I start a book and then (if it isn't grabbing me) I tend to find excuses not to read it. However, I always have plans to try to finish it in time for the meeting; invariably I run out of time. Having said that, I do recall one book a few years ago I intentionally stopped reading because I found it too distressing.

My problem is also that I am a very slow reader, and it is probably for this reason that I have approx seven unfinished books beside my bed -- they've been there for over a year. The reason for this number is because I get into one then have to drop it to read a PT book . . . then something else comes along that takes my fancy and the cycle continues. As a result of this I have even contemplated abandoning my involvement in PT, just to allow me to read some of the books that I keep buying with all the best intentions.

But I keep persevering with PT because I still love to be extended and I love to meet with everyone every month -- the social aspect is a huge incentive!
And I rationalise my part-reading of books with the conclusion that even a half-read book that one wouldn't normally read is better than none.

So, although I agree that it's nice to have read the book out of courtesy for the person who chose it (I still recall the time not one person had read the book I selected!), and informed discussion is good, and that there is something to be learned from every book whether you like it or not, my take on this is that there should be no obligation felt -- and no recrimination extended. Good thing that's how we operate anyway!